Thursday, May 2, 2013

Salmon Teriyaki

I recently stumbled upon this lovely Japanese cooking blog and have since fell in love with it. The recipes posted are easy and the dished come out delicious! I have since tried a few other Japanese recipes from her blog with delicious results.

With a piece of salmon I got on sale, I decided to cook up some teriyaki salmon for the husband and I. Right away, I knew I had to look up Nami's blog: Just One Cook Book for this dish and was delighted to see that she has a recipe for it. I had most of the ingredients in the pantry and was able to make salmon teriyaki as planned.

Unfortunately, I did not have sake in my pantry but was able to use dry sherry as a substitute. I cut my piece of salmon fillet to larger pieces than what the recipe asked for; so cooking time was slightly longer. Result was a very delicious piece of teriyaki salmon; one each for the husband and I and extra for my neighbor. We served the salmon teriyaki with some steam rice with furikake and clam miso soup. Dinner that day was super yums!

Here's the recipe adapted from Nami's blog. The instructions on her blog are clear with step by step pictures.


SALMON TERIYAKI RECIPE
*Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 2 Salmon Fillets, Skin On (About 3/4" thick - the skin will hold the flesh together when cooking)
  • Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Tbsp Dry Sherry ( or Sake)
  • 1/4 Tsp Toasted Sesame Seed (Optional)
  • 1 Tbsp Chopped Green Onion (Optional)
Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp Dry Sherry ( or Sake)
  • 1 Tbsp Mirin (or 1 Tbsp Sake + 1 Tsp Sugar)
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce 
Method

Combine the sauce ingredients and mix well until sugar is mostly dissolved. 

Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. Season both sides of the salmon with salt and black pepper. Then sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of flour on one side of the salmon and spread evenly. Flip over and do the same to the other side. Gently remove the excess flour. 

In a frying pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Do not burn butter and if the pan gets too hot, reduce heat or remove from heat temporarily. Add salmon fillets, skin side down and cook the salmon for about 3 minutes or until the skin is nicely browned and crisp. 

Add dry sherry and cover with lid. Steam the salmon for 3 minutes or until it's cooked through. Transfer the salmon to a plate. Then, add sauce ingredients to the pan and heat it up. When the sauce starts to boil, add salmon back in the pan and spoon sauce over the salmon. When the sauce thickens, turn off the heat. Transfer salmon and sauce onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with optional sesame seeds and green onions and serve immediately with some warm rice.

June's Notes: As the piece of salmon I used was big, I seared both sides of the fish (starting with the skin side first) for a couple minutes to ensure it's cooked through. 



Enjoy!

Simply June 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails