Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Challenge: Chocolate Marble Pound Cake

The husband loves marble cake. One day after a visit to Starbucks and looking at their array of cakes, I found myself being challenged by the husband to make chocolate marble cake. Maybe it was due to my big mouth to declare that, marble cake is easy to make! Anyway, I'm not complaining as I love challenges and I love baking! After googling for some recipes, I decided to go with one from Food & Wine. I've used their recipe in the past and have always had excellent success with them. One of the recipes that I've tried is my very well liked tiramisu; which gained approvals from many friends. Some of my toughest critiques include my husband (he doesn't sugar coat things and tell me straight if something is good or bad....I choose to ignore if I disagree!), an Italian couple and a French guy. You know it's good when the Italian and the French (who's very picky with their desserts) tells you so! =)

Anyway, back to the chocolate marble cake recipe..... the cake took a little longer than I expected to cook through... I blame this on my crappy oven (I miss the oven at my old place).  The husband thought it lacked something, but couldn't tell me what it was...I suspect he did it on purpose so that I'll bake more to "improve"! Maybe we need to get Starbuck's cake and compare side by side. Although it's not as light as Starbuck's marble pound cake,  I thought the flavors were pretty good and rich. I would continue to use this recipe, but maybe substituting regular all purpose flour with cake flour might give the cake a little lift. I used heavy cream in the recipe, but next time milk might be a better choice. The original recipe uses a food processor; I used the good old hand mixer. Lots of possibilities for the next time I use this recipe.

Until then, here's the recipe for a chocolate marble pound cake adapted directly from Food & Wine. Original recipe is HERE. This is great breakfast item with coffee or afternoon snack with your favorite tea! And why bake one for your neighbor or friends?


CHOCOLATE MARBLE POUND CAKE RECIPE
*Makes a 8" x 4" loaf

Ingredients
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 3/4 Cup Butter, Softened
  • 3 Tbsp Butter Melted
  • 2 Tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process)
  • 1-1/3 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
  • Vegetable Oil Cooking Spray
Method
Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8" x 4" loaf pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. Spray the paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, combine the melted butter with cocoa until smooth. 

With a stand or hand mixer, combine the softened butter with granulated sugar at medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla and combine until well mixed. Lower down the speed, and gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the heavy cream and combine until smooth. Transfer 1 cup of the batter to the bowl with the cocoa mixture and stir until smooth. 

Spoon half of the remaining batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Spread the chocolate batter in the pan, then cover with the remaining plain batter. Using a table knife, cut 5 swirls in the batter. Bake the pound cake for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325F and bake for another 25 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let the pound cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unfold and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Cut into slices and serve! Enjoy!

Simply June 



1 comment:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is my all time favourite, yours look so good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails