Friday, October 26, 2012

Curried Pumpkin Soup

I bought a can of pureed pumpkin from the grocery store recently to make Pumpkin Cake but then, I had a craving for some kind of curried pumpkin soup and decided to forgo the idea of making a pumpkin cake. I can just head to the store to get another can of pumpkin or perhaps try to use the squash my neighbor gave me and tweak the pumpkin cake recipe instead!

Anyway, armed with a can of pumpkin puree and a hungry tummy....I whipped up some spiced pumpkin soup. Of course fresh garlic and onion would taste better but I used garlic and onion powder instead as I did not want to make a big mess in the kitchen, and use my kitchen blender to puree my soup.  I used some (no salt/sodium) chicken broth in the soup but if you want to make the soup vegetarian friendly, use vegetable broth/stock. For this recipe, I used a Jamaican style curry powder and added some ground cumin. I'm sure any style (mild?) of curry powder will work with this recipe as well.


CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP
*Serves 2-3

Ingredients
  • 1 15 Oz Can Pumpkin
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
  • 1-1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
  • 1-1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tsp Onion Powder
  • 1-1/3 Cup Chicken Broth 
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream (Plus more, if desired)
  • Salt (Season to taste)
  • Ground black pepper (Optional, season to taste)
Method
In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter, curry powder, ground cumin, garlic powder and heat until spices are fragrant. Then stir in flour and mix well. Then pour in chicken stock and coconut milk and let the mixture simmer. Stir in pumpkin and let mixture simmer. Finally stir in cream, season to taste and serve! If you find the soup too thick for your preference, dilute the soup with optional 1-2 tbsp of heavy cream.


Simply June 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails