Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Zucchini Blossoms

Well, hello again! We're now nicely settled in our new house and bits and pieces of stuff to do....I think we're very comfortable at our permanent home (good bye temporary corporate apartment...though I miss the cleaning services provided) and loving the new place! And we can't wait to be able to host parties and have friends over! I'll blog more on perhaps what we've done to the place in another entry..

Back to the main topic of this entry.....Zucchini Blossoms!!! Ever since I tried Fried Zucchini Blossoms for the very first time in Rome, I was hooked! This was a while back and while I never really got to try it again at restaurants, I had been looking for fresh blossoms to try to make them myself. All these years, I had a hard time finding it at the local grocer back in the east coast. I remember the fried Zucchini Blossoms being absolutely delicious...it was crispy, yet so delicate with a delicious savory cheesy filling  ....and having it on the streets in Rome near the Pantheon was a bonus experience!

You had to see the excitement when I found them at a local Farmer's Market. I had wanted to check out the vendor selling Asian greens as we're quite deprived from them even though we're only about 45 minutes from LA. The grocery stores around the area only have bok choy and perhaps napa cabbage. This Asian green vendor has a good selection of Asian greens at very reasonable prices, and that was where I got my bag of beautiful zucchini blossoms. A bag of 20 blossoms for $2! Can you believe it???  I couldn't say no; got a bag of it and some other vegetables!


2 days later, this was what I made! Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms with lemon herb ricotta filling. While I enjoyed the light and crispy batter (I used beer, rice flour and all purpose flour).. I thought my filling lacked a little something. Perhaps something more savory. My friend had suggested mozzarella and anchovy filling which sounded really good..so I might try it the next time I got a bag of the flowers again. In the mean time, do you have a stuffed zucchini blossom recipe for me to try and fall in love with?


Simply June

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails