Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Birthday Meal

The husband had the day off and he offered to cook us a 4 course Chinese Meal for my birthday, a day early! I couldn’t say no when the man wants to cook. Plus, I had to work so I left all the cooking (and grocery shopping) to him!

BirthdayMeal BirthdayMeal5

I’m super duper proud of him and his cooking skills. The husband got inspired after he browsed my Saveur magazine and they had a section on Chinese stir-fry. He made 4 delicious dishes from that publication! And I did not even lift a finger. I let him have the kitchen to himself; one of the few times I actually stayed out of my territory without hovering over his shoulder! I should let him cook more often and I can just sit back, relax and wait to eat!!

Here’s what the husband made for us:

1) Tomato Egg Stir Fry (Bottom Left) : This was not bad, it reminded me of a dish I made a while back. This one was not bad, although we thought it could use a little more seasoning.

2)  Pork (Beef) & Leek Stir Fry (Bottom Right):  The recipe called for pork, the husband accidentally used beef instead. This dish was pretty good!

BirthdayMeal1 BirthdayMeal2

3) Bok Choy & Mushroom Stir Fry (Bottom Left) : This dish was very different from how I usually cook my bok choy. This was a dry version; no sauce, no gravy….yet not bad at all! It was an interesting change!

4) Braised Pork Belly (Bottom Right): This was by far the BEST dish of the night and one of the best pork dish I’ve had. We loved it so much, we cooked it again a few days later….doubling the portion! That explains the extra layer of fat I have around my waist! All the pork belly goodness went to my waist!

BirthdayMeal3 BirthdayMeal4 

All these recipes are extracted from the Saveur magazine. Perhaps, I will post the recipe in another blog entry later! =) I’m getting so hungry just thinking about that yummy in my tummy pork belly!!

Thanks, darling for a great home-cooked Birthday Meal!

Signature

3 comments:

Cin Twin2 said...

That was so sweet!! Those dishes sound so yummy...I am glad that you go to take a break from the kitchen. :-)

Joo said...

you should definitely post those recipes. they look really good and my birthday is coming up next week and I'd love to try some of those dishes!

Simply June said...

Joo:

Dish #1: http://simply-june.blogspot.com/2009/04/tomato-egg-stir-fry.html

Dish #4: http://simply-june.blogspot.com/2010/06/hong-shao-rou-red-cooked-pork-belly.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails