Monday, June 7, 2010

Cheesecake Brownie

Updated Oct 28, 2013 

I promised my friends from work I would bring brownies to work the following week. Brownies are pretty easy to make and this is one sinful chocolaty treat that most (not-too health-conscious) people would say yes to!

I sort of knew what kind of brownie I wanted to make; Cheesecake (Cheese) Brownie. I’ve tried a recipe by Martha Stewart once but I was in the mood to try other recipe. It was when I stumbled upon David Lebovitz’s Cheesecake Brownie that I knew I just had to try out this version! I’ve tried a few of his recipes and have no regrets trying them. They were all delectable!

After work (and dinner), I gathered the ingredients needed and started baking. I wasn’t going to wash my electrical appliances (i.e. mixer) and used a traditional whisk and my muscles to do the work of blending the ingredients into a smooth consistency!

Here’s the chocolaty sinful Cheesecake Brownie by David Lebovitz. And like usual, I like to tweak things a little; this time I sprinkled a handful of chocolate chips to the batter prior to baking. The result was a fudgy like brownie with bits of chocolate chip and random sections of cheesecake! Yums!
CheesecakeBrownie2
CHEESECAKE BROWNIE RECIPE

Ingredients:
Part A (Chocolate Batter)
  • 6 Tbsp Unsalted, Cut Into Pieces
  • 4 Oz Bittersweet / Semisweet Chocolate, Chopped
  • 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs, At Room Temperature
  • 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1/8 Tspn salt
  • 1 Tspn Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2  Cup Chocolate Chips
Part B (Cheesecake Batter)
  • 8 Oz (1 Block) Cream Cheese, At Room Temperature
  • 1 Large Egg Yolk
  • 5 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
  • 1/8 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Method:
Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, making sure it goes up all four sides. Use two sheets if necessary. Mist with non-stick spray or grease lightly. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the 2/3 cup sugar, then the eggs. Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and salt, then the vanilla and chocolate chips. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.

In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 5 tablespoons of sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Distribute the cream cheese mixture in eight dollops across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan feels just set. Let cool, then lift out the foil and peel it away. Cut the brownies into squares.

CheesecakeBrownie Cheesecake Brownie1
June’s Comments: I used salted butter instead of unsalted butter; therefore I skipped the salt in the batter. I used bittersweet chocolate (chips) throughout the recipe as I think bittersweet chocolate gives a richer chocolaty taste. Feel free to use semisweet ones.

I also sprinkled about 1/2 cups of chocolate chip after I swirled the cream cheese mixture to add more chocolaty goodness to the brownie. =). 

Oct 28, 2013 - I recently made another batch of this brownie and decided to double the chocolate batter part, but kept the cheesecake part. I like this "version" as well. 


Signature

2 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look so good and delicious !

Cin Twin2 said...

Loved loved loved these brownies! They were such a nice treat with coffee in the afternoon....thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails