Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tomato Bruschetta

Brushcetta which originates from central Italy is traditionally grilled bread rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with some salt and pepper. These days, when Brushcetta is brought up, chopped tomatoes over grilled bread comes in mind. When you go to restaurants, you’re most likely getting grilled bread topped with chopped tomatoes when you order Bruschetta.

I’m not a big fan of raw tomatoes but for my New Year’s Eve dinner I was desperate for some other greens besides the asparagus I was serving with the entree. I did serve up some stuffed mushrooms and although it’s considered a vegetable, I wanted something else. =)

So, I thought I should attempt to make some Bruschetta using some grape tomatoes instead of the regular plump tomatoes. I think raw Grape Tomatoes are a little more pleasant to my palate. =). I was pretty pleased with the outcome of my Tomato Bruschetta. I love the slightly sweet, slightly tangy taste from the combination of the Balsamic Vinegar and sugar. The chopped Basil Leaves gives the tomato mixture another level of depth and aroma. This is a great way to introduce raw tomatoes to my diet! =)

NYE-Bruschetta

TOMATO BRUSCHETTA RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 5 Oz Grape Tomatoes, Quartered 
  • 3-4 Basil Leaves, Chopped
  • 1 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1-1/2 Tsp Sugar
  • 2-1/2 Tsp Olive Oil, Divided
  • 1/8 Tsp Salt
  • 1/8 Tsp Pepper
  • 10-12 Pieces French Loaf (1/2” Thick)

Method:

Preheat oven to 400F. Brush 1-1/2 Tsp of Olive Oil on the French Loaf slices and let them toast for about 5-10 minutes. In the mean time, mix the first 8 ingredients (and the remaining 1 Tsp of Olive Oil) into a bowl and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Remove bread slices from oven, let it cool before piling the tomatoes mixture on each toasts. Scoop some of the juices onto the tomatoes as well.

NYE-Bruschetta1

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails