Friday, November 27, 2009

Serimuka

I was somehow craving for some Nonya kuihs and I really need to use up some of my glutinous rice. I bought a little way too much glutinous rice when I was doing my “Bak changs” (chinese rice dumplings). I bought 2 bags of rice, and I did not even finish a bag. Yes, I overestimated.

So, every now and then I’ll be looking for ways to use up the remaining 5 lbs of glutinous rice I have in my pantry. And making this kuih is an excellent way to get rid of some. Serimuka is a type of nonya kuih with glutinous rice layer on the bottom and green custard layer on the top. Here’s the Serimuka recipe adapted from Lily. It was surprisingly easy to make with the exception that the surface of my kuih wasn’t the smoothest!! But it was definitely delicious! I should have cut the kuih when it was completely cooled. I just can’t resist to taste it when it was done and cut it when it was still warm. Perhaps my kuih cutting skill was to blame. =P

Serimuka2

SERIMUKA RECIPE

Ingredients:

Part A (Rice Layer):

  • 300g Glutinous Rice, Wash & soak in water for 4 hrs.
  • 180ml Coconut Milk
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar

Part B (Egg Custard Layer):

  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 4 Tbsp Flour
  • 4 Tbsp Rice Flour
  • 350 Ml Coconut Milk
  • 150g Sugar
  • 1/2 Tsp Pandan Paste
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • Green coloring (*Optional)

Method:

Drain rice and steam on 22cm tray for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff up the rice and pour in the coconut milk, sugar and salt. Mix well. Steam for another 20-25 minutes or till cooked. Using a spoon or spatula,press cooked glutinous rice firmly and use another tray to level pressed rice.

Sieve the 2 flours mixture and add them to lightly beaten eggs. Strain mixture. Add coconut milk, pandan paste, green color,salt and sugar. Cook on high in the microwave, 1 min at a time until mixture is slightly thicken.

Pour 1/2 of this egg custard over the steamed glutinous rice and steam for 10 - 15 minutes until cooked. Use a fork and scratch surface, then pour in the balance of the custard, steam further another 10 - 15 minutes until cooked. (Steaming time varies depending on the heat of steamer)
Cut kuih into serving slices when cooled.

June’s Comments: I soaked the rice overnight (about 10 hours). I only steamed the rice for 15 minutes each time. I pressed the rice into a 6 inch pan with removable base. It was easier to remove my “kuih” when it was done.SerimukaI use Koepoe Koepoe brand pandan paste which is easily found in Asian stores and sells for about $1.50-$2.00 a bottle. I use 1/2 tsp of the paste per Lily’s recipe and thought it might be a little to green for me. I might try to reduce it by a little next time or use real pandan juice?

I cooked the custard mixture over the stove instead of using the microwave. That worked out well. When steaming the custard layer, it took me a longer than 15 minutes maybe because my heat was a little too low. I was afraid that the heat was too high and that would would give me a uneven surface.

I also placed a few pieces of paper towel under my pot cover when steaming the serimuka to prevent the water from the condensation to drop into my kuih.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails