Monday, November 30, 2009

Jackfruit Cheesecake (Tart)

For Thanksgiving, I decided to make my Jackfruit Cheesecake. It’s perfect since I have guests over and they could help me taste and give me some feedback on this Jackfruit Cheesecake, even though it was not the first time I made it. The result, my guests loved it! It was a great success (again), and this time I’m sharing the recipe here especially for one of my reader, Jenny. Jenny emailed me last month and requested for my Jackfruit recipe I made a while back and I wanted to retry the recipe before sharing it here!

Again, I made the cheesecake in a tart pan because I like that the filling would not overwhelm me and the cheesecake surface would most likely be crack free. If you want a regular size cheesecake, just use about 8 oz of cookie crumbs with about 1/3 of melted butter. Double the filling recipe to get the regular cheesecake height. Bake it for about 1 hour or until the center is set. I read some recipe where they bake the cheesecake for 1 hour, shut the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven overnight. That apparently will avoid the cracks on the cheesecake. Over mixing of the filling will also cause cracks on cheesecake. Since I’ve been making my cheesecakes in a shallow tart pan, I’ve never encountered the cracks. Touch on wood!

Here’s my jackfruit cheesecake recipe!

IMG_9357 (Large)

JACKFRUIT CHEESECAKE / TART RECIPE

Ingredients:

Part A (Crust):

  • 1 Box (12 Oz) Nilla Vanilla Wafers
  • 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted

Part B (Filling):

  • 2 – 8oz Cream Cheese
  • 1 Can Jackfruit (in Syrup)
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1/4 Cup Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 1/8 Tsp Jackfruit Extract (Optional)
  • 1 Tbsp Flour

Method:

Mix Part A together until it feels like wet sand and press the mixed crumbs onto the bottom and the sides of a 9” tart pan. I use the bottom of the glass to help me press the crumbs.

Puree the jackfruit flesh (about 8.5 Oz when drained) with 2 tbsp syrup until it’s smooth. That gave me almost 1 cup of Jackfruit puree. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.

Cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one by one and mix until smooth. Add in milk, jackfruit puree and the optional jackfruit extract. Finally sprinkle in flour and mix batter well. Pour cheese mixture into tart pan. Bake tart for about 45 minutes until the center is set. Remove and let cheese tart cool before chilling in the the refrigerator. Serve cold.

IMG_9367 (Large)

June’s comments: I forgot what brand of canned Jackfruit I used for this recipe. I thought that the jackfruits I used this time wasn’t as fragrant as I like it. I therefore added a some jackfruit extract for taste and coloring into the cheese mixture. I bought the the Jackfruit extract from an Asian store. You could probably get it in a Filipino store as the one I got was labeled “Langka”; Tagalog (Filipino) for jackfruit. The extract was actually by McCormick.

When you pour the filling into the tart pan, it will look like the filling will not fit in the pan. All the filling does fit in the pan, and will bake just fine without overflowing. The filling will poof up like a dome, which will then recede when it’s cooled. You could actually just blend the jackfruit flesh with milk, instead of the syrup if you want the filling a little less sweet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails