Thursday, November 12, 2009

Durian Butter Cake

Hubby and I bought 2 frozen (Thai) durians the other day and we ended up with one that didn’t taste that great. It wasn’t very “Duriany” and to us it was quite a turn off. Since we’re having a hard time eating a bland durian, I suggested that I make some kind of cake out of it. That way we don’t waste too much of it. I looked online and referred to some of my cook books and found a recipe for Durian Butter Cake. The book was one of many hand me downs from my mom and I’m glad I had a chance to experiment a recipe in that book. This recipe is adapted from Alex Goh’s Creative Making Of Cakes.

The cake was indeed rich and well definitely buttery. The durian flavor wasn’t very prominent I guess largely due to the quality of durian I used in this cake. It could just pass as a regular butter cake with a very (and I really mean VERY) slight hint of durian. I guess if you use a stronger tasting durian, you should be able to taste the durian more significantly!! Perhaps I could add more durian in the cake next time. But this is a very good way to discard whatever extra durian or not so great durian you may have! =)

DurianButterCake

DURIAN BUTTER CAKE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Part A:

  • 120 gm Durian Flesh
  • 60 ml Milk (1/4 Cup)
  • 40 gm Flour

Part B:

  • 250 gm Butter
  • 220 gm Sugar

Part C:

  • 5 Eggs

Part D:

  • 200 gm Flour
  • 50 gm Custard Flour
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda

Method:

Preheat oven to 350F. Blend durian flesh and milk until smooth. Add flour from Part A into mixture and mix till well combined. Cream Part B until light and fluffy. Add the eggs (Part C) one by one to Part B and cream till smooth and light. Then add Part A and mix until well combined. Lastly sieve in Part D and mix well.

Pour batter in a greased 10” round tin or a loaf tin. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted.

June’s Comments: I baked mine in a loaf pan for about 1 hour and 5-10 minutes as the cake was still trembling in the middle at 50 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I will try to make it, but wondered whether custard flour is the same thing as custard powder? I've noticed custard powder on the supermarket shelfs, but not custard flour.

Simply June said...

yes, there are the same thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails