Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pineapple Roll Recipe

Updated February 11, 2013

Pineapple Rolls (Crust pattern made using grooved rolling pin)

Pineapple Tart
Pineapple Rolls (Crust pattern made using a chef's knife; crust was a little too thick here)

A little birdie told me that her sister would like the recipe for the Pineapple Rolls I made for Chinese New Year….. I discovered the Pineapple Roll recipe from Lily of Lily’s Wai Sek Hong, a food blog I frequent for amazing and easy to follow recipes!

Here’s the recipe I used to make my CNY Pineapple Rolls…...

PINEAPPLE ROLL RECIPE

PINEAPPLE JAM FILLING
Ingredients 
**Pineapple Filling/Jam (To be made one day ahead before making the rolls).
  • 4 Cans 20 ozs pineapple crushed/chunks(drain and pulse in food processor until fine)
    sugar (amount of sugar should be equal to the pineapple pulp e.g. 1 cup pineapple pulp to 1 cup sugar. 3/4 cup of sugar will be acceptable as the canned pineapples do tend to be sweeter than fresh ones)
  • 1 Tbsp of lime/lemon juice
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon bark
  • 6 Cloves
  • 1 Segment of star anise
Method
Put all the ingredients in a big round microwavable bowl and microwave on high. Start with 15 mins, stir well, high for another 15 mins x 2. If jam is still runny, microwave at 1 min at a time until it is thick but still wet. It will thicken and dry out when it is cooled. If jam has gone too dry, just add enough water, stir well to dilute. Jam for filling should not be too dry as it will dry further when the tarts are baking. (The timing in the microwave is for making 4 cans of pineapples, so if you intend to try making with one can only, then the time taken in the microwave should be very much shorter).

Let the pineapple jam cool and refrigerate overnight. Roll the jam into little balls (about 3/4 tsp) and set aside use.

June’s Notes: I cooked my jam filling in a saucepan, over medium heat stirring constantly till the pineapples turn slightly dark yellow and is no longer runny. I don’t remember how long I cooked it for though!

CRUST RECIPE
Ingredients 
  • 250 gm Butter 
  • 60 gm Icing(powdered) sugar
  • 440 gm All purpose flour (remove 4 tbsp and replace with corn flour)
  • 2 Egg yolks
  • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla essence
  • 1 Egg yolk + 1 tsp water for glazing
Method
Cream butter with icing sugar until light. Add in egg yolk and vanilla and cream until combine. Add in the flour and mix into a dough. Rest down for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Roll out dough to 5mm thickness using grooved rolling pin to get a striped pattern, then roll diagonally to form checked pattern. Cut into strips (about 1" x 2-1/2"), turn pattern over, fill the middle section with pineapple jam, roll/fold each end of the pastry to cover the jam (I adjusted the jam filling (add or reducing) to make sure that the pastry can close up- just nice (to avoid gaps or overlapping of pastry). Repeat. Glaze and bake in preheated oven @ 350 F/180 C for 15 minutes.

June’s Notes: I did not use grooved rolling pin to create the pattern. Instead, I use a chef’s knife and gently score the pastry diagonally to create the checked pattern. You do not want to cut / score the pastry too deep, as it will make it hard for you to wrap the jam later. For my pineapple rolls, I cut the scored pastries into strips of 1” x 2-1/2”. Then I filled it with about 1/2 tsp of jam in each strip and roll the pastry over to close it up. I adjust the jam filling (add or reducing) to make sure that the pastry can close up- just nice (to avoid gaps or overlapping of pastry). I believe that I doubled or tripled the crust recipe in order to use up all the jam filling!
Good Luck! =). Please send me some when y
Simply June ou make them! =P

2 comments:

lwychin said...

I have tried out both the Pineapple and Peanut Cookies recipe and they turns out good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

chiaoju said...

i couldn't roll them (it was too soft), so i shape them into rectangular shapes with my hand. it is the bomb. i love the crust so much! i've always loved crust that are as such... very, crumbly. LOVE IT!

Related Posts with Thumbnails