Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Muah Chee

Updated: August 25, 2009

Muah Chee-1Muah Chee is Chinese Snack made from steamed and cut glutinous rice flour then coated in a mixture of grounded roasted peanuts. This is a popular snack usually sold by street vendors in Malaysia. It is a sticky, chewy and fragrant confection enjoyed by both the older and younger generations.

I found this recipe from Lily’s blog again and have made Muah Chee using an easy short cut method numerous times. Click here to see Lily’s Muah Chee recipe.

MUAH CHEE RECIPE

Ingredients (Dough):

  • 1 cup glutinous rice flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp thick coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • 150 ml water
  • 2 tbsp fragrant oil(oil fried with shallots)

Peanut Coating:

  • 1/2 cup of chopped toasted peanuts
  • 1/4 cup of fine granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Method:
Mix glutinous rice flour, sugar, coconut milk, oil and water in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir well and cook on high for another minute. Stir well, it should be cooked but if you are having a lower wattage microwave you might have to cook another minute more. Add in the 2 tbsp of fragrant oil(cooking oil straight from the bottle will do - only no fragrance). Let the dough cool. (June’s Notes: I feel that working the dough while it’s still warm will make the peanut coating stick a little more. Therefore, I always cut the dough and coat it immediately. Just remember that it may be a little hot to handle!)

Add the peanut, sesame seeds and sugar mixture to the dough and using an oiled scissor, snip into smaller pieces and coat well with peanuts. (if not serving the whole portion, remove a small piece enough to eat, and put into the coating, then snip from there. Remove the coated dough for serving and leave the coating for the rest of the dough). Enjoy!!

I've shared this recipe with Vaishali from www.earthvegan.blogspot.com to participate in her vegan event: "It's a Vegan World: Malaysia (August 2009)". This would be a great vegan/vegetarian dessert recipe for some of you out there!. Muah Chee

4 comments:

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

Hey my mom n i tried your muah chee recipe and it was okay but there were a few problems, eg:

1. The highest voltage for my microwave is 850, so is that considered high? Or should I set lower?

2. The toasted groundnuts should be chopped or pounded to powder form? cause chopping will make the groundnut scatter everywhere

3. what do we use to oil the scissors? can we use butter?

4. how long can the dough last if i keep it in the fridge?

5. can i reheat the unused dough? and the microwave should be at high or low? (eg i didn't use the whole portion and kept it for the next day instead)

thanks so much! we enjoyed making it :)

Simply June said...

Tze Hui.... I guess I might need to make some ammendments to the recipe or extra notes and /or pictures.. haha... Anyway, here are the answers..Hope it helps!

Q :The highest voltage for my microwave is 850, so is that considered high? Or should I set lower?
A: 850W is ok. My microwave is 950W. I think it took me about 3 minutes ( I will time it te next time I make it. It's been a while since I made some) to completely cook the dough. The dough will turn to sort of off-white and of course more solid when it's cook. I would follow the recipe to cook the dough every one minute and stir it at the end of each minute...reapeat till dough is cook.

Q: The toasted groundnuts should be chopped or pounded to powder form? cause chopping will make the groundnut scatter everywhere
A: I used a food processor/grinder/blender to process it till like almost powdery. Imagine how commerical muah chee peanut coating is like and blend it till you get that texture. I will need to add/change that in the blog.

Q: what do we use to oil the scissors? can we use butter?
A: Use Oil. You can brush some oil onto the scissors or dab it with a piece of cloth/towel/tissue. I've personally never oiled it dough. The cooked dough is already oily and I've never gotten a sticky problem so far when cutting it.

Q: How long can the dough last if i keep it in the fridge?
A: I've not kept the dough longer than a few hours! Coz your cousin and I will devour it almost immediately. Sorry, can't really help you with that! You could consider making half portions, since this is pretty easy to make.

Q: can i reheat the unused dough? and the microwave should be at high or low? (eg i didn't use the whole portion and kept it for the next day instead)
A: For cooked dough: I think I quickly zap it for 20-30 seconds just to warm it up. Like my answer above, we eat it all almost immediately. So, I seldom reheat it. For uncooked dough: I would just cook it per instruction. Will definitely take you shorter time to cook it.

Good Luck!If you have additional questions, refer to the recipe originally posted here : http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2006/10/mua-chee.html

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

hey thx so much! i'll try again mayb next week.. anyway i got this recipe thru a forwarded email... don't know whether it's true or not:

Famous Amos Hawaiian Nut Cookie
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal &
blend in blender
to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
18 oz. Cadbury bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla
cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and
vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt,
baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips,
Cadbury bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place
two inches apart on a cookie sheet.. bake for 10
minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 122 cookies..

apparently this guy got conned into buying the recipe at RM 2.50 which actually cost RM250 so he "beh song" and circulated the recipe around...

Simply June said...

Tze Hui....

It took me 2 minutes and 30 seconds to cook the dough.... I heat the dough for 2 minutes, take it out stir it real good and let it cook for another 30 minutes. Dough will rise a bit by then...

Related Posts with Thumbnails