Thursday, February 5, 2009

House Of Malaysian Pancakes / Crepes

I've been craving to have "Roti Jala" (which literally means "Netty Bread") for quite a while and decided to make it tonight since I have leftover Chicken Curry from the night before. "Roti Jala" is somewhat like a lacey crepe, but batter is poured from a mold with mutiple "funnels" in a swirly pattern to create the "lace" effect. It is then folded into whatever way you fancy; I folded mine into half, then into thirds to form a triangular shape. The batter for "Roti Jala" has to be a little runny, so that batter can flow smoothly and you would hold the mold (filled with batter), swirl it slowly over an oiled pan. I do not have a exact recipe for my "Roti Jala", and basically just eye balled some all purpose flour, coconut milk(or milk), salt, water, turmeric powder (for color) and eggs, mix it well till I get the watery consistency I need! There are tons of recipes for Roti Jala on the WWW, so just google it! =)

I also crisp up some frozen "Roti Canai/Prata"; another Malaysian pancake/crepe also usually eaten with curry to serve it up with the left over Curry Chicken. and freshly made "Roti Jala" .... Frozen "Roti Canai" packets are easily available from Chinese or Indian Grocer and will cost about $2 per packet of 5 pancakes/crepes!

This is my "Roti Jala" mold used to create the lacey crepe for tonight's dinner.It's pancake/crepes night for this household as I made another Malaysian pancake/crepe for dessert; "Apam Balik". This is a local dessert often being sold by vendors on the streets in Malaysia. It's crispy on the outside, and the inside is filled with sugar, toasted ground peanuts and sometimes creamed corn. I added lots of creamed corn for mine! Some vendors have gotten very creative and added different fillings; tuna, curry chicken, cheese, egg, ham, etc etc....And they are equally sinfully GOOD!! I will share this recipe that I found online in a seperate post..... Good things are meant to be shared, especially when you're living overseas and have limited access to Malaysian Food!! =)

3 comments:

Mrs. Green said...

oh dang it. i really want roti jala too...

Eve said...

hey where did you get your copper roti jala mold? been looking all over for it. I hate using those plastic ones. their holes are too wide to make intricate, crispy nets unlike copper ones.

Simply June said...

Hey Evonne! My mom got me the mold.. I guess somewhere in penang...i can ask her where she got it from if you like!..you don't need to make you own, just get it ready made.. hehe.. I can't get roti jala here, hence have to learn to make it myself..

Related Posts with Thumbnails