Monday, January 12, 2009

Peanut Cookies

I've started baking my CNY cookies, and have started with the Peanut Cookies which is one of the easiest cookies to make using the simplest & most affordable ingredients! I believe these yummy Peanut Cookies are very often available at most Chinese homes during the CNY and I'm not sure if it's because it's pretty easy & cheap to make, or if there's a significant meaning behind them!

Anyway, I found this Peanut Cookie recipe from Lilian's Food Blog. These cookies will melt in your mouth!


PEANUT COOKIE (FAH SANG PENG) RECIPE

Ingredients:
  • 300 gm Skinless Peanuts, Fried/Roasted & Grounded Till Fine
  • 200 gm Granulated Sugar
  • 250 gm All-Purpose Flour
  • 150 ml Vegetable Oil( Add about 1 tbsp of extra oil at a time if you need more to bind the mixture)
  • 1 Tsp Salt
Glaze:
  • 1 Egg Lightly Beaten

Method:
Preheat oven at 375F and prepare baking sheets lined with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Mix all the ingredients except oil (and the egg) in a large mixing bowl, running your fingers through them to make sure that they are crumbly and well mixed (Note: I grounded the grounded peanuts and sugar together to make sure they are super fine prior to this.). Add oil bit by bit and knead the mixture. Once you can roll up the mixture into a small ball without the surface crumbles, then don’t add anymore oil. Knead the mixture for a while to ensure that the sugar melts. It shouldn’t have speckles of shiny sugar grains but smooth texture when sugar melted. Roll the dough into small balls (size of a marble) and place them on a parchment paper and baking sheet. Use a circular tube and press gently on the top of the balls to make round indents (Note: I used the ends of a plastic cocktail stirrer to create the indentations. You could also use the ends of a chopsticks). Lightly glaze cookies with egg before baking. Bake cookies at 375F for 15-17 minutes until lightly brown.

June's Comments: I bought the skinless peanuts from a Chinese grocery store. I roasted the peanuts @ 350F for about 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown. I like my peanuts darker. If you prefer a lighter shade for the peanuts, 20 minutes in the oven might be sufficient. Remember to occasionally stir peanuts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These cookies are made for my darling husband who absolutely love Peanut Cookies. I think he will conveniently finish them up before CNY and have me bake more!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails